Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Daily Chef I am not

One of the main things I have had to adjust to with all the transitions is cooking. Hubby did the cooking, it is how he would unwind after a busy day at work. In return, I did the grocery shopping and the dishes.

I have come to the realisation that I am a lousy daily cook! I can make a killer quiche, a delectable crusty whole wheat loaf of bread and many other non-daily dishes. Thankfully I know how to boil water and pasta and I have become very good friends but it gets old day in and day out.

Today, I will be starting a new theme. It will appropriately be called "The Daily Chef". It will include recipes that I have found easy and delicious as well as a few I conjure up on my own. I am my own guinea pig and will advise you on the ones to truly avoid. Any suggestions or recipes that you would like to share would be greatly appreciated. I would love to know what you had for dinner last night and what you are planning for this evening.

Now I begin:

Stove Top Stuffing Casserole:

1 box of Stove Top Stuffing
2 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup of frozen peas
1 chicken breast cooked and cut up in chunks or shredded

Prepare the stuffing as recommended. Mix in all remaining ingredients and enjoy.


I give it a 2 star rating. It was nice to have the next night when I was tired and hungry.

Chicken Curry

3 chicken breasts-cubed
1 can coconut milk
2 shallots
6 green onions
2 cloves garlic
salt & pepper to taste
curry powder
2 cups of cooked jasmine rice


Cook the chicken in a pan until it's almost done. Pour the can of coconut milk over the chicken and cook for about 15-20 minutes. Saute the shallot, green onion and garlic and add to the chicken. Let it simmer for about half an hour. Pour over jasmine rice and voila! Delicious!

This one gets a 5 star rating. I will be making it again. It was easy, quick, inexpensive and the left overs were even better.

Happy daily eats everyone!

6 comments:

RYD said...

Keep the recipes coming! I am always looking for easy things to cook. There is a great show on t.v. (if you have tivo, I highly recommend recording it) called Everyday Foods. The recipes are quick and easy and really good. In fact, it's a Martha Stewart production (she's not on it) and there is a Web site (pbs.org - search everyday food) and a magazine. Good luck!

Jocelyn said...

Thanks RYD! It truly is a challenge. I gave up the tv but will look into pbs.org had no idea that I could find recipes there. Thanks for the info!

Jennifer Howard said...

Way to go giving up the TV!
We got rid of channels about 7 years ago, now we just watch the occasional video/DVD and I can honestly say, no-one around here misses it. My teenager will some times say, "I wish I knew who won on American Idol" but then he looks it up on the internet. I'm happy to have found your blog and wish you lots of luck with life without TV. You can do it!
PS I just recently finished watching the season 3 of LOST on DVD and I am more frustrated and confused than ever before, but I do recommend getting it for an after your little one is asleep Mommy time treat. Take care, Jennifer aka Montessori Mama

Jocelyn said...

TV was the first to go. I really don't miss it at all especially the bill that used to come around every month. Can't wait to read more from your blog and soon! I will be renting Lost the 3rd season and I just can't wait. Thank you.

RYD said...

We sort of gave up t.v., too. My kids are not allowed to watch Monday through Friday, and on Saturday and Sunday they get two 20-minute videos. Wish I could give it up myself but my husband works late and sometimes I just want to veg out. Old habits die hard, right? :)

Jocelyn said...

Ryd- You are actually doing better than I am about tv for your girls. Marley is obsessed with Barney and has to watch him at least once a day. It's actually becoming a problem. He's being returned to the library and I'm not taking another one out for awhile.