Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Please don't come back from the moon: My review, my perspective

As you can see with all the latest blog entries, I am procrastinating on the packing. I truly would love to have my mind on something less mundane .

I finished the book please don't come back from the moon by Dean Bakopoulos last night. It was short and it was good. I can't say that I will be enthusiastically handing it over to someone else tomorrow either. In fact I'm wondering whether or not to donate it so I don't have to pack it!

The story line is about Michael a boy from Maple Rock, Michigan a suburb of Detroit. A depression hit and many Father's simply left their homes, their wives and their children. One Father left a note stating that he "went to the moon". Michael's Father left when he was a teenager, he watched his Father climb into a car, both with an understanding on both their faces and his Father was simply gone, never to be seen again. The book trails Michael's life through the rest of his teenage years and entering his late 20's early 30's always with an emptiness in his heart. At the end he has a wife a stepson and a daughter, lots of questions and yearnings and not a lot of trust in himself. He's content but not happy.

This book, although melancholy, was very well written. I think the line that struck me most was the very last line of the book:

"Like an eye, the moon follows us wherever we go".

When my Grandmother passed away last month I felt that she was watching me. I made sure I didn't say the word "got" unless it was grammatically correct. I cringed when I wore my blue jeans and I went through all the letters she ever sent me kissing each one. She is a beautiful woman and I know she is still out there watching over me quit possibly from the moon.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

cool. glad you liked it.
DB

Jocelyn said...

DB- Yes, I did like it. Are there anymore novels in the works?

Scatterbrain said...

*Hugs*
I liked how she used to tell you "If Mississipi wore her New Jersey, what would Delaware."

Jocelyn said...

Thanks VZ! It's quite clever isn't it!?

Anonymous said...

Yeah. There should be another one out next year; just finished another draft. I stumbled upon your blog while looking for something else, so I just decided to chime in and say thanks. Good luck with the move.

DB

Jocelyn said...

DB-Glad you stumbled onto my blog and thanks for leaving a comment. I have to tell you that I ready "Happy" yesterday. It was very well written. I feel that the characters in the novel and the short story could be the same people and all very real. I want to, personally, show them how grand life can be and to give all of them more of a purpose. Can't wait for the next novel. I will look for it next year!