Sunday, May 13, 2007

A Celebration of Life

My Mother has a farm in a valley nestled in the Blue Ridge Mountains. This valley has remarkably been left untouched by the urban sprawl that surrounds it. I have fond memories of this valley, it's always been home, a place we would return to after all of our overseas travels.

I spent a portion of my childhood there. It's where I learned how to ride horses, my bike, play tennis and build forts in the woods. It's a mystical place where the aromas of spring envelop each hill, where the haze of summer give the mountains a mystical feel, the bold colors of fall feel as though you have entered a painting and the snow of winter blankets the mountains with a soft and quiet touch.

There have been a lot neighbors that have come and gone through the years but there have been a few that have made the valley their permanent home and a comforting and familiar place for me to return. As you enter the valley there is a little red house on the right where Ol' Mr. Dawson lives. You would see him every day working in his garden or simply sitting on his porch, his cane by his side. Mr. Dawson passed away several years ago and was replaced by his son who is now older in years and just like his Father works in his garden every summer and is seen sitting in his porch with his cane. As you make your way down the windy country road you will find a cemetary with headstones of the people that have given this valley it's history. Oh the stories I wish they could tell! Keep going and about a mile later you will come to my Mom's farm a gorgeous place that I wish everyone could visit. Further down you will come to a "T" interesection where three sisters live. Their family has lived in this house for many generations and are very dear to my heart. These are just a few that make this valley rich with wonderful memories and give it the uniqueness and charm that simply does not exist elsewhere.

Across the road from my Mother's, there is another farm where the family has lived for two generations now. It's a farm, fully equipped with grapevines, a pond and a tennis court and where I learned to play tennis. I have fond memories of Heirloom. Which brings me to the story of Charlie.

Charlie is a fabulous musician. An eccentric man who is a truly gifted artist. He has such a love for life, his music, truly loves the people that have come in and out of his life over the years. I feel truly lucky to have had him as my neighbor as a child and a friend now that I am an adult.

I saw Charlie last August. I was visiting my Mother and decided I needed a Charlie fix. Charlie and I had a good chat and as usual the time flew. When I was getting ready to leave he handed me a couple of cd's of his music. I have thoroughly enjoyed and treasure these cds.

I'm sad to say that Charlie passed away last Thursday which leaves my heart heavy today. I never e-mailed him to tell him how much I enjoy his music. Truly my loss.

Today is his 53rd birthday. Happy birthday Charlie and to your twin brother Jim. To everyone who was more fortunate than I to be an everyday companion to Charlie, I'd like to say my thoughts and prayers are nowhere else but with you today.

Here's one of Charlie's songs for you to enjoy


I'll SeeYou Again
So many years are passing right before my eyes
So many roads I might have taken
But the rides been a good one living it day to day
Of all the good things
I'm glad you came my way
*************
Chorus
I trusted you and
you never let me down and
it's lovely
you turned my life around
I'll see you again
I know where I'm going and
I know where I've been
Today or tomorrow
Good times and sorrow
I'll see you again
**********
A river rushes through the canyon
slows into the wild
Almost still it seems so peaceful
But the power in the journey
Makes it deeper atthe end
Never thought I'd make it
I'm glad you've been my friend
Chorus

6 comments:

RYD said...

Oh my gosh! How awful! I am so sorry for your loss. What a shame the world doesn't have more people like Charlie around. I'm glad you have Charlie's music to keep his memory alive. -Roxanne

Jocelyn said...

Thanks ryd. My Mom went to his Memorial Service which was on his farm across the street and people from back to his college days were there singing his songs, etc.
He will be missed!

Scatterbrain said...

Jocelyn- Sorry to hear it. You should send a copy of this entry to his brother: it's comforting to know that those you love were also beloved by others. And it shares some warm memories.
*Hugs*

Jocelyn said...

Thanks Viking Zen! Yes, they know about my blogger page but not sure if they have had a chance to see it yet.
By the way I had a dream last night that you were at my house making some Brazilian food that required a whole pound of ground coffee! Now how strange is that!? I haven't been able to stop thinking about coffee and I am now on my third cup, knowing it's going to make me feel ill. So, if you have any Brazilian recipes that require a whole pound of ground please e-mail it to me....or maybe not.

Scatterbrain said...

Jocelyn! Go to sleep right now so I can tell you in your dream which recipe I am making! I want to know what it is too! ;-D If I don't, then I would like to suggest you place us on the island in Lost with Sawyer, Jack, Boone, and Desmond (I like Scottish accents). In the dream we need to apply heavy layers of sunblock on them. Heck, that sounds so awesome I think I am gonna take a nap... ;-D

Jocelyn said...

Sawyers mine! I'll only trade him for a brazilian pounds of coffee.