Thursday, June 29, 2006

Babyproofing!?

Marely is crawling and a whole new world has opened to her. It has opened a whole new world for Mom and Dad too. It certainly has become a challenge. The days of being able to walk out of the room to switch a load of laundry or to walk out to the mail box for a quick second are GONE. It's wonderful to see her find something in the house that is fascinating to her. A whole world of discovery! But, it's time to set the boundaries in place. She loves the knobs on the stereo, she loves the dirt in the plants and her all time favorite is the toilet. All of which are NOs. I hate seeing her little face fall when she discovers something thrilling and we have to say NO. I do take the time and show her that NO item but also explain that it belongs to Mommy and Daddy and when she is older she will be able play with it too but for now it's a NO then I redirect her to a YES. I have been struggling with these NO items but I have come to realize that life is about boundaries. I, as a parent must set boundaries for her the rest of her life! This is just the beginning.
It's also about keeping my Bugalicious safe. I have discovered that no matter how much you baby proof there are still dangers that lurk. We discovered one that sent us racing to the Dr's office one day with a bloody mouth. I felt awful, the guilt was overwhelming. Marley was fine. I, probably over reacted a little but when it's your child and blood is gushing from her mouth....
I always said I would never use a play pen, well now her pack n play is set up between the kitchen and the living room. It follows a growing list of things that I said I would never do BEFORE I became a parent. I now live by the words "Never say never".
So in light of these new challenges I had to write a song. I am borrowing the tune and have changed the lyrics to "Janie's Got a Gun" by Aerosmith.


Marley's on the Run
Marley's on the run
Moms world has come undone
What did that baby do
She fell down and went boom
They say that Marley was a wanderin'
Mom found her cryin' on the floor
Marley says Mom I'm crawlin'
I'm headed for the bathroom door
Baby proofin' works but not for everythin'
Marley's on the run
Moms world has come undone
What did that baby do
She fell down and went boom
Ok I know it's terrible. Marley has a serious goof ball for a Mother but it's my blogger page and I can do whatever I want.

No comments: