Monday, June 16, 2008

In the midst of insanity

As crazy as my life is, there are a few treasured moments that bring life back to reality.

After Marley and I read our books before bed she looked out the window and saw the full moon. She exclaimed, "Moon, Mommy, Moon-Mommy Marley go outside see Moon!" It was 15 minutes past her bedtime. The clock in me said "no" and a voice inside said "of course!". I carried her outside and found a spot on the porch where the trees and houses did not obstruct it in any way. We stood there, Marley in my arms, and we stared at it and talked about it a little. After a few quiet moments, Marley kissed me on the cheek and said, "I love you, Mom".

Moments...precious moments......


*********************************

There is a serial biter at Marley's daycare. This little boy, who I will call Lestat in the name of privacy. Lestat was on a rampage for awhile biting who he could and when he could. Marley fell victim three times in a month and other classmates more often. A meeting was held with the director and appropriate action was taken.

Two year olds don't necessarily bite because they are bad/unhappy toddlers. They bite for a variety of reasons one being they don't know how to express themselves any other way. They are only two! Another reason being, simple exploration. What ever the reason, it should not be taken lightly.

Lestat has not bitten Marley in at least a month. Last Wednesday, I was gathering Marley's things and noticed the dreaded piece of paper neatly folded and clipped with her art work and daily report. My first thought was, please not again! Then I looked down at the dreaded piece of paper and saw that Marley was not bitten. She was the one that BIT! I was horrified. My beautiful, blond haired girl grew vampire teeth in a matter of hours!

On our drive home I asked Marley who she bit. She said, "Marley bite Lestat Mom, Marley make Lestat cry". I almost drove the car off the road. Part of me wanted to say 'good for you, great job!" and the rational part kicked in and said, "we don't bite our friends".

Talking with her teachers the next morning, the consesus is that Marley had just had it with this boy. She was acting like a typical two and she stood up for herself. I simply can not stop laughing as horrible as that sounds. In a way I am very proud of her and in another way I am realizing she is going to be a handful as she gets older.

No comments: