Saturday, July 08, 2006

Marley's favorite recipes

So, I have yet to buy a good baby food book. Why? Well, the area where I live is a beach town full of bookstores packed with Judith Krantz novels. I did find one bookstore that actually has good books and a great variety but they were out of all their baby food books and I have not had a chance to go back. Why not order it online you ask? Because I'm too cheap to pay for the shipping. I have spent a lot of time online finding recipes, suggestions, charts, etc. Here are some great websites:

www.wholesomebabyfood.com

www.babycenter.com (of course!)

www.homemade-baby-food-recipes.com

The one thing I am not fond of is the suggestions to mix fruit with vegetables. Fruit is great but it's sugar so I only feed her fruit in the morning. There are plenty of veggies (sweet potato and corn) that contain sugar.

Using these resources and my own imagination I have come up with some very tasty meals to please my baby's palette.

I have nothing against feeding Marley the jarred stuff if it's one ingredient like squash, sweet potato, peas, etc. or the fruits because it is just water and the veggie or fruit. I have in a pinch bought stage 3 beef and vegetables, which I will not do again the stuff smelled like Chef Boyardee. Marley loved it but all the ingredients on the label made me wince. Marley loves chicken but will not eat the jarred chicken. I don't blame her, dog food smells better.

Here are some of Marley's favorite foods:

Breakfast: Fruit and yogurt or oatmeal (YUM). I use Gerber baby oatmeal for the iron and an organic whole fat yogurt such as Stoneyfield. I buy Gerber or Beechnut fruit except for bananas, canteloupe and apple sauce.
I was amazed to find in the yogurts for babies all the added sugar and the God awful ingredient high fructose corn syrup.

Lunch/Dinner:

Chicken with broccoli and a little cheddar (organic of course) and a small side of squash

Une melange de legume- Corn, peas, grean beans and lima beans-boy was Marley happy, good thing too because Mom came up with this one cleaning out the fridge.

Black beans and rice sometimes mixed with some corn and a side of carrots, sweet potato or squash

Lentils and rice with a side squash

Beef and vegetables. I bought ground sirloin, browned it added a little water and put it through the food processor. Oh my! It looked and smelled terrible. I mixed it with a lot of peas and Marley LOVED it!

More recipes to come! We are doing cauliflower this week.

No comments: